Tuesday 22 January 2008

Ringing in 2008 with Perspective Heaven

Hello world,

Fashionably late as usual, welcome to the New Year on perspective-heaven.blogspot.com!!! I'll kid myself that we have readers other than my fellow bloggers and myself(1) (actually, we do -- my dad reads sometimes) and wish you all, on behalf of Else, Sofie, and myself, a very happy and scrumptious 2008, with lots of love, footwear, and chocolate covered licorice. Mmm, chocolate covered licorice...

So New Year, dear readers, let's talk! A time for new beginnings, etc, etc, etc... On New Year's Eve, my friend Ingrid and I went with my (HIPPIE) mom and my spiritual half-(HIPPIE)-sister Kate to a raw food and Biodanza New Year's Eve celebration at this ashram (think Osho) in the Mission(2). I won't get into the details. Suffice to say, Ingrid, I, and a group of GROWN ADULTS closed our eyes, stood in a circle, put our arms around each other, and swayed like bamboo in the wind to Enya. That's right, TO ENYA. It was utterly ridiculous, but the people were nice so politely we slipped out to get drunk and robot-dance to Architecture in Helsinki. Anyway, the point is that before we got into the swaying to Enya, we all went around in a circle and reflected on 2007, giving it a characterization, and shared our intentions (aka, New Year's Resolutions in hippie terminology) for 2008. This, I thought, was productive, and I'd like to repeat the process, here, with you. I'd be obliged if you would do the same, because I think it's nice to share.

2007 for Shane:

Well I rung in 2007 with gritted teeth, on an airplane back to Ecuador. I didn't want to go back, but I was determined to; I was determined to finish the year. I eventually did, and Sir Edmund Hillary couldn't have been happier that he kept climbing up, up, up. Along the way, I met some kids I'll never forget, as blurry as they become. So my characterization of the first half of 2007 is "blessed determination".

I'll need a different characterization of the second half, which can be nothing else but "transition" -- coming back to my country to stay, then moving to an unknown part of it and trying to find myself among the Ugg boots. Also, my Grandad died, so I know it's cliche, but adjusting to my life without someone so important in it was a big transition too. I know it's cheating to use two different characterizations, but I can't not.

2008 for Shane (hopefully):

Yippee. Clean slate time! This year, I resolve to:
1. Be aware of what I am doing, why I am doing it, and to what end. Be mindful, essentially.
2. Focus more on the positive aspects of my surroundings, rather than hating and criticizing and judging everything.
3. Be a better communicator. Post EVERY SINGLE DAY on Perspective Heaven (just kidding).
4. Learn to speak French.
5. Not get herpes(3).

How about you guys? Really, please do share. I want to hear.





(1)Would Grammar Girl consider this to be a proper use of the word "myself"? I'm pretty sure, because used "I" earlier on in the sentence. Read the episode yourself. What do you think? Am I right or am I wrong?
(2)SF's Mexican neighborhood.
(3)Sorry Ingrid, I know I essentially stole your joke. But it was a good one. And I substituted "herpes" for "pregnant". Herpes is grosser.

5 comments:

ink and ginger said...

Enya? Oh, Shane.

Shane said...

did i not tell you about that? OMFG. seriously, it was intense.

Anonymous said...

shane...i read this. i have nothing better to do during my service (and also i cherish your witty dialogue about the world of course)

-the adored little sister jil

Else said...

Nice and structured retrospective + prospective.
But: licorice covered with chocolate? And pregnant = gross?
Love love

Sofie said...

yes, that'a good one about looking around in a more positive way. i hope to do that too.