Friday 4 March 2011

Green smoothies and other nice things

Hello weekend!

This weekend feels highly undeserved. I’ve had two whole days with nothing on the schedule but starting to write my BA thesis. Not a single word has yet been typed and it is 2 p.m. Friday. It’s an assignment in economics where I’ll be writing about food: Food prices and food crises. I’m starting to think that things related to food really are at the core of my interest.

It’s one of the most basic things of our mere existence, it’s a source of unlimited hedonistic joy, it’s an inevitable part of everyday life and it plays an important role in both my academic fields: Politics and economics. I’ll let you know more about the academic aspect later but for now I want to share a recent discovery I made: The green smoothie. My friend Irmelin was on a long journey in southern Africa this winter. In Swaziland she got to learn about the significance of raw food (if you're also into this I'd love to learn more). After she convinced me I’ve been having green smoothies for breakfast everyday. Below you can see the recipe and I urge you to try it. It tastes great, it has serious amounts of vitamins and nutrients and it gives you a very unique sort of energy. Basically you can use whatever you want but here is my variant:

· 1 banana

· 1 green apple

· A bit of fresh ginger

· Celery

· Ca. 100 g spinach

· Juice from ½ lime

· Some water

But it in the blender with some ice cubes and voila.

Another tip for the weekend is to check out the new Belle & Sebastian album: Write about love.

All the songs are really nice and catchy. I especially like “I didn’t see it coming” and “I want the world to stop”. When Sofie, Sigrid, Christopher and I saw then this summer they played the first one. It was epic!

I hope you all have a great weekend in your respective corners of the world.

1 comment:

Sofie said...

Looks delicious! Just need to get a blender now... I've booked tickets to see Belle and Seb in May, very much looking forward to it!